POLOKWANE – In light of this, BONUS received some tips on how to relax hair without burning the scalp from Dee Ramotshedisi, a hairdresser.
You might also want to read: Keep your braids fresh, this spring, with these tips
1. Part the hair into four sections.
This will give you a clear idea of what you are working with and ensure all sides get equal attention.
2. Apply petroleum jelly on the lines where the hair has been split.
This protects your scalp. Remember to also apply it around your hairline and behind your ears because those areas are also sensitive and susceptible to burns.
3. Use the same petroleum jelly on the rest of your scalp as you take thin strips of hair and moisturise the scalp beneath it. This ensures the entire base of your scalp is covered.
4. Keep the four sections separated for when you start applying the relaxer crème from where your hair begins, don’t apply it directly on the scalp.
Work on each of the four sections at a time.
5. Massage into hair until the entire head is covered.
6. Follow the instructions on the relaxer for the correct times and set it accordingly.
Dee explained it is important for people to not relax their hair if they have recently dyed it or if their scalp is irritated.
It is also important to wear gloves when working with relaxer.